Field notes

Insights

Field notes on energy monitoring, useful grants and measured improvements.

Energy use

Should I buy a new fridge?

TLDR> Yeah, you probably should. My 15 year old fridge was pretty tired. Its seals were decayed and I considered just buying a new fridge. But would I save energy? PhiSaver can tell us! Typical Usage Daily energy consumption of a oldish f…

Hotwater: Make it efficiently

Question: In Brisbane, Australia what's up with hotwater? Method: These data are mostly from Brisbane houses from March to September 2023. Units are kWh/day mostly. Typical family of 3 but varies. Answer: read on. Does it matter? The best …

Improving fridge efficiency

A recent client has a number of fridges, including wine fridges. Other work had reduced the pool energy (see pie chart) to a reasonable level; the fridges ("power") were next on the list. By writing some custom queries and graphics, the c…

Video: Pool Pump Energy

Check out a typical site's analysis in this video. Despite being inconspicuous, some pool pumps can use more than 50% of a house's energy. PhiSaver can identity and track improvements. When considering your pool usage: Use PhiSaver to ide…